Sender:
From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1992 12:40:32 EST
This thread on pucks in the crowd should serve to remind all of us to keep our
attention focused on the ice during play.  At Lynah around 1978, (I think that
is right, Art Mintz told me this story a couple months ago) a person was killed
by a puck that was shot high (there were no nets behind the goals before that
incident).  The man left the game feeling fine--what we medical people call the
"lucid period"--and later died of intracranial pressure from a mass of blood
that formed just insude his skull.

At the Ice Rink one evening, a couple sat down next to me and the woman asked
me if pucks ever come into our section.  I said that I hadn't seen any, but
that we were at just the right height from the glass to get them if properly
shot from the surface.  Sure enough, her husband got clocked in the jaw in the
third period.

The moral:  Enjoy yourselves this weekend, but hey, let's be careful out there!

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95