Sender:
From:
Dave Wollstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:28:35 -0500
Comments:
Cheryl Morris cites my earlier post and asks:

"Could people please lighten up.  I thought name-calling was the absolute
sin of all INTERNET discussion groups.  Greg's original post, while
confrontational, certainly doesn't justify the kind of "circle the wagons"
response that has been engendered.  This type of thing keeps going on
unabated despite the admonitions of the people who have put the whole
Hockey-l list together.  I am beginning to share their disgust, and if
people out there don't begin to curb their inflammatory rhetoric, this
list is going down the tubes."

For the record, I apologize to Greg and the list for calling him a "twit."

That being said, I still feel like a hockey player who has taken a vicious
spear to the mid-section, retaliated with a quick cross-check to the shoulder
pad, and been called for a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty. On the ice, it
happens all the time, but at least the referee has the excuse that he didn't
see the original infraction, however egregious.

In this case, Greg Ambrose accuses Coach Walsh of knowingly violating the
rules and trying to cover up the violations, and futher accuses the
University of Maine with endorsing this type of behavior. Somehow, that post
is merely "confrontational," while attempts by me and others to defend the
honor of our institution becomes "inflammatory rhetoric."

I agree with Cheryl that Hockey-L'ers should talk more about "the hockey
played on the ice, not the sideshows in the halls of the administrations, or
newsrooms across the country."  But I'd agree more if she would recognize the
source of the problem, which were Greg Ambrose's slanderous comments about
UMaine hockey, not me calling him a twit.