Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1992 16:41:59 EST
Eric Maiwald writes:
>As an RPI graduate, I am biased and I don't like to see the team rated
>so low.  On the other hand, from what I have seen this team is not what
>it was in 1985 when they won the national championship (and set the NC$$
>record for the longest winning streak :-).

Just for accuracy's sake (and also because I'm a biased Cornell fan :-), RPI
TIED, rather than set, the NCAA record for the longest winning streak.  The
mark of 30 straight was set by Cornell in 1969-70.  The Engineers did,
however, set the NCAA record for the longest *unbeaten* streak, at 38 games
(36-0-2).

More fun stuff on polls:  This business that Bob Croce brings up about how
Maine is ranked #1 in the polls but not by TCHCR reminds me of an article I
saw during the college football season (I think it was in _Sports Illus-
trated_) concerning the _New York Times_ football computer rankings.  Like
TCHCR, the Times' "power ratings" come from a number of formulas.  The
article I read decried the fact that, while practically every poll in the
country was at that time rating Florida State #1, the Times had them at
number 11.  Of course, the Seminoles then proceeded to lose twice to tough
competition, so maybe the Times knew what they were talking about.  I don't
know if anything similar will happen to Maine as they move into a tougher
part of their schedule, but it IS food for thought...

Hockey polls have misfired before, even at the end of the season.  Last
year, Lake Superior was ranked #1 by the polls going into the NCAAs, yet
they didn't make it to the Phinal Phour.  (TCHCR ranked eventual champion
Northern Michigan #1 -- nice going, Keith!)  The same thing happened two
years ago to consensus #1 Michigan State.
--
Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and probably '94        |  [log in to unmask]