Sender:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1992 21:29:30 EST
> >        And what's the story with Belzile or whoever, #6?  Acting like he is
> >near death and then coming back on the ice two minutes after a major penalty
> >was issued on RPI?  Well?

>      Well what?  You don't have to have a player carted off the ice on a
>      stretcher in order to pick up a major.  In most cases, it's a judgment
>      call by the referee, and apparently Ammian felt that Vaillant's actions
>      (he tripped Belzile and shoved him head-first into the boards) were
>      worthy of a major penalty rather than a minor.  Belzile was down on the
>      ice for about two minutes before being helped up and skating back to
>      the bench -- fortunately, he was not seriously injured.  Given the way

When Ammian made the call, he gave the "boarding" signal, and the penalty went
up as a two-minute minor.  After seeing that injury resulted from the penalty,
he went back to the scorekeeper's booth and upped the penalty to a major.
This is a perfectly legitimate call, and given those circumstances, I believe
it was a good one (ie. I probably would've called it the same way).  :-)

Actually, the only "bad" (and somewhat humorous) call that Ammian made during
the game was on a 2nd-period goal which Cornell scored.  The puck was flicked
into the upper right corner of the goal cage, and ricocheted quickly to the
left side, and back out again.  Ammian was blocked, and apparently didn't see
it, because while the Cornell players were celebrating, he was waving off
the goal.  The linesmen quickly skated in and gave him the scoop, so it was
covered up in an instant, and all was well.  I didn't notice if the goal
judge signalled the goal or not, as that might have influenced Ammian's
decision.

---
Kenny Zalewski -- Information Technology Services at Rensselaer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180
[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]