Sender:
From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 08:35:43 -0500
Comments:
Here it is Wednesday and no one has really posted anything on the Governors'
Cup beyond the scores and the fact that my beloved Wildcats won the
tournament.  There were about 50 UNH fans in attendance and I guess we were
the most boisterous (especially since we won).

My impressions:  The first two periods of the UNH-UVM game were just about as
good as college hockey can get (at least in the regular season).  In the
first period, the St. Louis, Perrin, Ruid line was FLYING!!  Their
stickhandling and passing was unbelievable.  They (St. Louis) scored two
goals and probably should have had a few more except for the outstanding
goaltending of Sean Matile, whose reputation has, of course, preceded him.
 Let me tell you, based on his first period performance in this game, he is
the REAL DEAL.  The second period was all UNH as their forwards (all 4 lines)
dominated UVM as they scored 5 goals.  UNH has done this a few times this
year, and when they do, their pressure is relentless.  Mark Mowers was superb
in this period (and in the whole tournament).  The switch from center to wing
has really helped him. He has his confidence back and has taken his game to a
new level, I think.  Despite constant checking and, at times, double teaming
he is a constant threat.  The third period of the UVM game was a bit sloppy.
 Matile let in a  couple of softies and it was nervewracking for a couple of
minutes but UNH finally did pull out the  victory.

As for the game against Maine, it was with great pleasure that I watched UNH
tuck it to the Black Bears as they have done to us so many times in the past.
 Maine could not handle the Wildcats at even strength and, as a result, took
too many penalties, giving UNH too many opportunities which they capitalized
on.  This game gave more evidence that UNH is a very solid team.  Their
checking scheme is the same through all four lines.  Their first two lines
have a lot of ability and, consequently, did most of the scoring but the 3rd
and 4th lines check very well and can also score some.  I guess you can say
that they are very deep.   I have been following UNH hockey for over 25 years
and can honestly say that this is the most talented group of forwards that
they have ever had.  If their defense continues to improve - Steve O'Brien,
Tim Murray and Jayme Filipowicz were outstanding this weekend - UNH will be
very tough to beat.  Aaargh!  I can't believe I said it!!  I've cursed them
for sure this time!

One final note:  I was NOT impressed with the UVM fans.  Beyond flipping the
UNH fans the bird in the third period of the Friday nite game, they started
to walk  out with 10 minutes to go and then, on Saturday, left en masse after
the consolation game was over.  I would dare say that there were no more than
200 people left in Gutterson at the conclusion of the championship game.
 What wonderful hockey fans.  Next year's Governors Cup is at UNH.  I am sure
that the fans in Durham will give more respect to the game of college hockey.

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
Go (UNH) Blue!!!