Sender:
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 13:23:58 -0600
To: Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Arthur Berman wrote:

> Just an alternative view: I have always felt put upon that the anthem is
> played before games, why are they any different from a movie?  I think, by
> and large, that nationalism is responsible for more negative than positive
> feelings, emotions, and actions.
>
> I stand out of respect for others (during the Vietnam period--and when I
> was younger and more obstinate I would not even stand).  My hat still
> remains on my head.  Occasionally someone will comment, and as far as I'm
> concerned they can deal with it.

I can certainly agree with all this.  I'd add that, if they're can be
anything patriotic about a song in the first place, it's compromised
by playing it at events with no relevance far more than any individual
could do.

In a sense, the anthem is being used as an icon of the state religion.

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |
|             I don't judge a man by the color of his skin;            |
|            I judge him by his choice of internet provider.           |