Sender:
From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1991 08:25:08 EST
On Tue, 10 Dec 1991 12:35:00 PST Stephen Leroy said:
>For the various Lynah Faithfull who seem to be on this list (quite a
>few of you!), I'd like to know about some of the cheers I
>remember.  The most traditional of cheers I always presumed to be
>"Screw BU, (blank)-(blank), too!" (a nostalgic cheer for the old ECAC
>I gather--someone told me that BU was Cornell's public enemy #1 for a
>long time).

BU was the team Cornell beat in the NC$$ tournament finals in 1967.
The rivalry actually started earlier that season, when Cornell
tied BU 3-3 in double overtime in the finals of the ECAC Holiday
Tournament in the Boston Arena (now Northeastern's Matthews Arena).
Boston was the center of Eastern hockey in those days, and Cornell
was this upstart from out in the sticks. The "Screw BU, etc." cheer
is actually a modified version of BU's fight song; the music
is the same, but the BU fans yell "Go,BU!" at the end. At least,
they did many years ago. I don't remember hearing the BU band
play that song  at all at Hockeyfest last March.

>Are you guys still doing that one?  My last year at Lynah
>I remember a brand new cheer starting up:  whenever the opposing team
>returned a man to the ice after a PP, after the announcer announced
>"(blank) returns to full strength," the fans would yell "They still suck!"
>Is this one still around--I kinda liked it.

The part about the announcer saying "(whoever) returns to full
strength" isn't around any more, as the AD decided that, while
he couldn't control what the fans say, he didn't have to have his
announcer serving as their straight man.