Sender:
From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1991 22:31:58 EST
I'm always glad to answer questions from a fellow Faithful.  Stephen writes:

> I'd like to know about some of the cheers I
> remember.  The most traditional of cheers I always presumed to be
> "Screw BU, (blank)-(blank), too!" (someone told me that BU was Cornell's
public enemy #1 for a
> long time).  Are you guys still doing that one?

We will probably always do that cheer.  It's dumb, and no one, not even Cornell
fans, understand it.  It often comes out sounding like "Scoo-bie-Doo! Harvard
too!"  If we are in an opposing rink that does a "Let's Go Knights!"
after the band does the "dut-dut-dut-daaaaah-dut" cheer, it can come out "Let's
Go Knights! Clarkson too!" which sounds even worse.  Apparently, when
Cornell-BU was one of the biggest rivalries in the old ECAC and in college
hockey in general, the BU pep band would constantly lead that cheer followed by
a rousing "Go BU!" (or something like that) from their fans.  At Lynah, Cornell
fans would substitute "Screw BU!"  When HE broke off (perhaps even before
this), the cheer got mutated to "Screw BU! (Whoever we're playing) too!"

> My last year at Lynah
> I remember a brand new cheer starting up:  whenever the opposing team
> returned a man to the ice after a PP, after the announcer announced
> "(blank) returns to full strength," the fans would yell "They still suck!"
> Is this one still around

No, it's not.  A HOCKEY-L member who shall remain nameless stopped saying the
key words after the penalties expired (no doubt there was some directive from
above to stop saying them), and thus, the cheer died.  Sometimes, you can hear
a group of people try to do the whole thing themselves, but it never has been
the same.  One thing that has come in since you left is the shouting of "RED!"
during the US Anthem at the "Rocket's red glare" part.  It's pretty cool.  We
got thoroughly hissed when the pep band did that at Brown last year.  Also
there is the "Good goalie....Baaaaaaaaaad goalie" cheer, and "Which team is the
winning team...." is still going strong.

Note: Anyone who followed Cornell hockey when the coach drove the Zamboni is
more Faithful than any of us!
--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95