Sender:
From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1991 14:41:21 EST
Okay, I believe it may have been myself and Ted Tuba from Clarkson (probably
more me than him) that began this little pep band war.  I never expected to sit
down to my computer this afternoon and find so many postings on the subject.
My apologies to those who found it a clutter and a bore.

I am not about to make any more comments about who is best, but I would like to
add some factual information before we officially call a truce to this thing or
at least take the war off-line (Ross, I can't get private mail thru to you,
what is your address?).

1.(Not band related) After Ryan Hughes scored a natural hat trick against BC
last year, a couple of fans tossed their hats at Lynah.
2.  Cornell's pep band shirts are brand new as of the 89-90 season, before
that, we just found whatever was red, white or both.  Not to copy anyone, but
just to have the school colors, we got the red and white shirts with the neat
Cornell logo.
3. The Cornell pep band almost never gets support to be present at more than a
couple away games.  It wasn't until the last minute last year that the school
came up with a bus for the people in the band who were going to drive to
Michigan themselves.  They still had to pay most of their way.  The Michigan
fans were pretty cool and the band has even attempted to institute that SEE YA!
cheer on opposing penalties at Lynah (yes, it's copying, but it's a great cheer
and in a few years, no one will remember who created it).  They were also
well-behaved and I thought we got along well with the UM band.  (They did play
the MSU fight song just to annoy the UM crowd though.) A lot of the time, an
informal band will just get together, drive to the game, pay their own expenses
and play.  The "band" heard in the Vermont (6-4) game was all of four players,
and I have twice been the sole instrumentalist at away games (I stopped going
alone because we always lost 7-6 at Princeton in '91 and 6-5[OT] at RPI in
'90.)

The point is, anyone who is willing to go to a game and lead the crowd in
spirit through their music at EITHER home or away games is a great fan.  While
other people in the rink may complain about the band occaisionally, everybody
misses it when they aren't there.

"It doesn't matter what you wear, just as long as you are there."

(I really never thought that this would go this far)

--
R. David Smith (Dave) [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95