Sender:
From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1991 15:40:34 CST
Just a little more on what Former Stevens Point Head Coach Mark Mazzolini
is doing at Minnesota.  Carol mentioned that he runs the power play.  I'm
pretty sure he's in charge of the special teams in general.  My seats are
close to the Gopher bench, and on the rare occasions when he does come
down and coach from the bench, he's constantly yelling directions at the
(WCHA-leading) penalty killers (it's quite interesting to listen to.)
Someone, maybe coach Woog, mentioned his more fiery style as being a good
addition to the coaching staff, too.  I believe Mazz played for Woog when
he was coach of the St. Paul Vulcans junior team, when Wooger was supposedly
a little less reserved!

While I'm at it, I'll mention the recruiting news.  Brian Bonin, the state's
top prospect (and he's from my hometown, so I'm more interested in this than
most) visited last weekend and saw the 8-2 victory over NDU.  From the reports
in the Daily, he sounded very impressed and expects to announce a decision
in the next week.  He's a straight-A student and has also visited Harvard,
Wisconsin and Maine.  He's also a teammate of Gopher assistant Bill Butters'
son, Ben, (maybe an "in" there) at White Bear Lake HS and is interested in the
engineering school.  Had a slow evening last night (for him), though:
2 assists in White Bear's 8-2 victory over North St. Paul.

Pam

Go Gophers!!!