Sender:
From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1991 15:29:37 CST
I was kinda busy with school for the last week (I didn't even read my
hockey mail until yesterday).

Briefly, some comments on last weekends Denver-Wisconsin series in
Madison.

Friday night, Denver and Wisconsin tied 3-3. Wisconsin played so-so,
Denver played pretty well. Wisconsin goalie Duane Derksen seemed to
have trouble concentrating. When they went to overtime, I was sure it
would end a tie -- by that point, neither team looked like they wanted
to win. Wisconsin came out strong however, and put pressue on, but
couldn't score. Denver also came out with new life, but didn't score
either. Several key badgers had the flu friday night (but that doesn't
excuse the team's ppor performance)

Saturday, Wisconsin started Junior Jon Michalizzi in goal, for about
the fifth time in his career. He played well. The coaches claimed it
was not a move to shake-up the team or anything, just that he had put
in three good solid weeks of practice, and deserved a game.

Wisconsin was down early, but turned it on in the last 23 minutes,
scoring 5 unanswered goals, to win 6-3, ending a 5-game winless
streak.  Up until then, the only emotion the team showed was
frustration.

Throughout the weekend (until the last 23 minutes saturday) Wisconsin
seemed unduly distracted by Denver's Angelo Rici, who left Wisconsin
last year. This was his first weekend of eligebility with Denver.

Several badgers seemed to finally figure out how to play together
saturday night, and instead of trying to do everything themselves, each
turned up the their intensity *doing their part* as a team to start
scoring and winning again.

As last year, I want to complement Denver Coach Sarratori (did I spell
that right?). His team played a lot of young guys, and they showed
talent and enthusiasm, and didn't give up, and it sure looks like
Denver Hockey is headed for better times.

Before both games, there was a moment of silence for Bob Johnson, and
then Coach Sauer made a short statement, reminding us that "we are all
here [at the game] because of Bob" and what he did in building the
program, and asked us to show Martha (Bob's wife) and his familly how
much we appreciated bob, and to make tonight "A Great Day for Hockey".
The standing ovation was long and loud.

Wisconsin hosts Colorado College this weekend. Hopefully the lessons of
last Saturday have been learned, and the Badgers will sweep the
tigers....

	--david

--------
david parter					[log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison		computer sciences department