Sender:
From:
MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:42:57 -0500
     Some thoughts on yesterday's correspondence (I'm on digest)...

     -Why does Maine have to go to Detroit again?  Can't the Wolverines
     come out here?  I realize they play Lake State the following Sunday.
     Are the Lakers and Michigan making a trip to Orono next year?

     -Why must Maine always play an exhibition against a Canadian or non
     D-I team in the first night of the JC Penney (formerly Dexter)
     Classic?  Just schedule your Canadian or D-3 exhibition in October and
     invite three D-I's.  It used to be a great tournament.  It's still
     good, but not like when RPI, BGSU, and UIC attended (3 of the four
     were in the top 10 at the time), or when Lake State, Brown (the year
     they went to the Tournament), and someone else I can't recall were in
     it.  Last year was interesting with the two European teams, but not
     like to Showcase or GLI out West.  I was hoping Union would pull off a
     miracle upset last year and continue the ECAC's Dexter Classic winning
     streak (RPI won it in '93, Princeton in '94), but it wasn't to be.
     Maybe Princeton or UC can recapture the banner for their conference
     this year.

     -On the other hand, the Governor's Cup looks like a keeper.  One of my
     greatest regrets from my college days was not getting a chance to go
     from Troy to Burlington to see a game in the Gut; I've heard that It's
     a great place.  Alfond in Orono is a good building, UNH just got a new
     rink, and UMass-Lowell has one coming.  All four teams should be
     competitive this year; I look for a rematch of last year's
     Maine-Vermont final.  (Tough luck, UMass-Amhearst...)

     -Does anyone have any attendance figures from Frozen Fours past?  Is
     the percent sellout any better in the East than in the West?  The
     East/West talent balance seems to be pretty even.  I'm elated at the
     predominantly Eastern sites since Boston and Providence are a short
     hop, and Sutter's wings are always drawing me to the Albany area.  My
     fiance wants to see Disney World (not to mention SoCal in April-a
     break from Mud Season), so we'll get out to Anaheim.

     -I just moved into an apartment wired with PrimeStar.  I lose half the
     Bruins' games because we don't get UPN 38, but what can I expect to
     gain as far as college hockey is concerned?  I'm accustomed to NESN's
     HE coverage.  I've noticed PASS and Empire network, and I seem to
     recall these being thrown around during this year's playoffs as
     possible sources of college ice coverage.

     -Also playing in the Calder Cup Finals was Brad Layzell of the
     Pirates.  He graduated from RPI in '94.  On that note, does anyone
     know if there are rules regulating who is eligible for Calder Cup
     play?  I thought Holzinger, Houda, and Charron spent considerable time
     with the Sabres this season (maybe I'm wrong; I only really saw them
     play the Bruins).  I know that Poapst, Gendron, and Allison saw some
     time with the Caps.

     -Twelve days until the NHL draft... any good undrafted college players
     who are likely to go?

     -If I'm not mistaken, didn't the college tournament pool go to an RPI
     grad as did Greg's recent Stanley cup challenge?  The team's at a low
     point.  I guess someone has to carry the 'Tute's hockey banner.

     Thanks.  I'm done meandering.

     Matt
     RPI '94