Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 13:47:47 -0100
Couple of quick replies to posts by Dick Tuthill...

>Subject:      Re: Air Force Tentative 96-97 schedule
> I'm wondering if the service academies have SO much trouble scheduling as
>independents that this is what causes the strength of schedule to be so uneven
>from weekend to weekend?

I believe this is the case.  The CCHA is having trouble filling the void
left by the departure of UIC.  It can't be any easier for Air Force and
Army.

Also, at least for Army, I believe there is a desire to play a mix of
teams.  There are a number of reasons for this; one is that with the
situation Army is in, they want to play some games they know they can do
well in.  Air Force had a tough schedule last year and finished with
perhaps its worst record ever.  That has to be demoralizing to a team.

I always remember what Merrimack coach Ron Anderson once said: "No matter
who you play, the atmosphere around the locker room is always better after
a win."

>Subject:      How About The HECAC?
>If the WCCHA is born,  can the birth of the HECAC be far behind?   I
>suppose not.   The Ivies like their de-facto veto power  --  although I am
>sure that Luiz will jump in here and say that the Ivies are not the monolith
>that we non-Ivies portray them to be:-):-)

I believe this is much less likely than the WCCHA.  The issue is not really
the Ivies, it is that there are big differences between the two Eastern
leagues that do not exist in the West.  I doubt the HE schools would be
willing to compromise on the issues of athletic scholarships, number of
games played, admissions, and so on.

The Western leagues seem to have reasons to at least consider merging, but
those reasons do not exist in the East.  Both Eastern leagues seem to be in
situations that work well for each of them, given the common goals and
philosophies of the schools in those leagues.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93