Sender:
From:
"Brian T. Farenell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1991 10:46:55 -0500
I forget whether it was here or in USA HOCKEY mag. that I read a
posting/article on womens' hockey. The reason I mention it is because
: yesterday I found out that Clarkson had a womens' hockey team. I was
not surprised, knowing the increasing popularity of the sport among
females, but I just didn't previously know about it. Is it an official
"sport" according to the NC** or is womens' hockey a "club" activity?

Another question, will womens' hockey be an Olympic sport anytime soon?
I know Canada won the 1st womens' world championships over the US. One
advantage Canada had was talent pool. Canada has over 40,000 womens' hockey
players while the number in the States is near 3000.

Can anyone in New Hampshire confirm this for me: a local paper said that
UNH womens' goalie Erin Whitten (an alumna of my high school) was named
to the US Womens' National Team. She was the first (as so far as I know,
only) female ever to play boys' hockey in our HS league. She was very
good to, leading us to the state semifinals.

Bri Farenell
Clarkson '95

PS-Does anyone know about how many schools have womens' hockey teams
(or "clubs")?