Sender:
From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1991 10:45:53 CST
From: Shari Nelson <[log in to unmask]>

>This NC%^ thread got me thinking back to when the whole revenue sharing
>debate began a while back. I seem to remember reading that it was NC**
>hoops that started the bickering. There were a number of schools playing
>Div I basketball, that also had a number of other Div I sports, who were
>upset about schools that had basketball as their only Div I sport
>(Duke, Georgetown etc..). The complaining schools didn't think it was fair
>that these 1-sport-only schools got a huge amount of money to pour into
>one program, thus being able to build a dynasty (better facilities, more
>money for coaches salaries etc...). Thus, the NC@! came up with the rule
>that in order to share in Div I tournament monies, schools must have something
>like 6 or 7 Div I sports for men and women each. If this is correct, it
>probably carries over to the hockey side as well. i.e. unless your school
>is Div I in every sport, you cannot collect the proceeds from the hockey
>tournaments.

	Another point about the revenue sharing is that the NC%$ wanted
	to get away from the $500,000 free throw.  Under the old system
	schools got tons of money the further they made it in the basket-
	ball tourney.  So potentially half a million dollars could be riding
	on an important game.  Clearly this is not exactly the spirit behind
	amateur sports.  The revenue sharing is a fine idea but there are a
	few problems with the implementation.

>In other news.... This is the first year since I graduated from the U of Minn
>in 1984, that I will have season hockey tix (actually my husband and I split
>a pair with some friends). We were able to get a student, who for some unkown
>reason isn't a hockey fan, to buy us tickets in the student (NEE!) section. We

	Isn't this illegal?  Masquerading as a student!  I'm going to
	report you to the UM ticket office immediately.

>are at center ice - right behind the penalty boxes. Not the greatest seats in
>the house, but it's fun heckling the opposing team's players when they get
> penalties!

	You fiends!  Those players need rehabilitation not retribution.
	Inserting smileys is left as an exercise for the reader.  (I've
	always wanted to write that.)

Jim Love writes:

>"That's nothing .... did you see that story in the Toronto paper?" Corletto
>asked. "This minor leaguer is playing the other night, and an accidental
>stick slices part of his nose off. Well, they're looking around and they
>can't find his nose. So between periods the Zamboni resurfaces the ice, and
>picks up his nose. Yeah, the nose is in the Zamboni. So they fish around
>the shavings and get it out, put it in a cup of ice, and take it, with the
>player, to the hospital where they reattached it. It seems to be doing fine."

>Well .... for my money, this is a much better analogy to use in the future
>than the cliched "looking for a needle in a haystack" line .... :-) :-)

	In the body mutilation story of the week, the winner is Jim Love
	... by a nose.  Last week's story available by request.

	Badger news: Latvian transfer Ulvis Katlaps reportedly had his NCAA
	eligibility denied for this season.  Katlaps never took the SAT test
	as required by the NCAA.  The NCAA refused his request for a waiver due
	to the extenuating circumstances regarding the situation last year in
	the Soviet Union.  Katlaps will be eligible for the 1992-93 season
	only.

@ mark grassl				[log in to unmask]            @
@ Go Badgers!                                                           @
@ Language is a virus from outer space. --- William S. Burroughs        @