Sender:
From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:56:11 -0500
Bryan wrote:
>        I think that if there is going to be any western team that goes
>out east it is going to be Minnesota.  With Michigan State having their
>home ice, and CC being just a great team I think that Minnesota will get
>bumped out east.

A lot of that would depend, IMHO, on who wins the WCHA tournament.  With
the commitee going a little less by the numbers this year, they may be
more apt to keep the WCHA champion in the West as sort of a reward.

A bigger reason that a team like Minnesota could be sent to the East would
be Michigan, and the committee looking at the potential for the two teams
to draw fans into East Lansing.  No offense to Minnesota intended, but
Michigan will draw more fans into East Lansing (both for and against) simply
due to proximity (though Minnesota had a fairly sizable contingent here two
years ago).

With Michigan State staying home, one of the other CCHA entrants will probably
be sent East as well (maybe two of them).  An 8-4 split would probably mean
three Western teams head to Albany, with only one Eastern school (for Lowell's
sake, I'm hoping for Clarkson or St. Lawrence) coming West.  I don't think
having six Western teams playing at Munn (even in the event of an 8-4 split)
is likely, where the two bottom East seeds would be given to Western schools
before the switch.  In the rare event that 5 CCHA schools get into the NC$$,
two will be headed to Albany (Bowling Green and either Lake Superior or Western
Michigan, IMO).

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 22-5-1, 26-8-1

P.S. Yes, my heart is still pounding a bit after MSU's rising from the dead
     tie with Notre Dame last night.  A power play goal and two goals with
     the goaltender pulled put a number of years on this 30-year old frame
     in the matter of a little under 3 minutes.  You hate to second-guess
     Ron Mason, a man with 750 victories, but he probably should have given
     Chad Alban the night off, after back-to-back games with Lake Superior
     and Michigan and only two days rest.

     Spartan senior defenseman Chris Smith was hurt in last night's game
     (knee injury) and his status is unknown.  In the matter of 5 days, the
     Spartans have had two defensemen injured, at least one out for the
     season and ending his Spartan career on a very sour note.  The defense
     that a week ago looked as thick as a brick wall now appears paper-thin,
     with only 5 healthy members if Smith's injury keeps him in street clothes
     (Gaskins, Bogas, Harlton, Kozakowski, Slater).  Ryan Fleming has played
     very little this year and his status is unknown.  Chris Salani better
     be in game shape, because he may have to suit up (MSU's punter, was
     also a hockey player in high school [All-State, if I'm not mistaken]).