Sender:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1991 15:35:49 TZONE
Stevens Point, who most of you probably know nothing about, has a good
Division III program.  No scholarship monies for the players.  Stuck out here
in the West, where small college hockey isn't as popular as the NE, we don't
have many teams we can play.  Now Mankato State wants to join the WCHA, one of
our few strong rivals.  Also, we are part of a state system that already has a
Division I hockey school and the odds of the CHEAP Wisconsin system giving us
enough money to upgrade to Div I is zippo.  Point is a small town (35K total
in the area) with a small arena (1500) and no corporate sponsor on the
horizon, so we are stuck where we are (i.e., Div III).

So what's the point?  I fear for the future of Div III hockey out west.  Those
of you at Maine, NH, NMU, Minn, etc, won't miss it, but it will be a sad day
if the little guys fold for lack of competition.  If hockey really succeeds in
pulling out of the NCAA, please try to put together a structure that will
service all of college hockey, not just the scholarship programs.  Maybe even
some cross division games - I know nobody would want to come to our dinky
arena, but we would be happy to come to yours.  We'd get creamed a lot, and it
would be hard for the big boys to live it down if they lost, but it *could* be
a draw.

BTW:  Why is there no Div II hockey?

Final note:  I fully intend to continue using "The Final Four" - let 'em sue
me.

Tom Rowe                              Internet: [log in to unmask]
As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand
          Josh Billings