Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1991 15:58:54 GMT
Pam writes:
> Is it right to say, though, that this is the first time a woman has
>played for a men's college hockey team in the US?  With women's hockey
>being more common in the East, I would think that perhaps this has happened
>before.

Well, it seems to me that the best women players get recruited to play in
the East, either at Ivy schools or at Providence/Northeastern/UNH.  I'm sure
it is very rare for a woman of this caliber to stay in the West and play
because women's hockey is not a national sport yet.  If a player is good
enough, she would play at one of these schools, and if not, she might not
make a men's team anyway.  It would be extraordinary for someone to go
against the tide and choose to play for a men's team rather than a top women's
team, but I applaud her for taking it on and doing well.  This is a great
story; thanks for relaying it, Pam.

BTW, the goalie for Northeastern's women's team of a few years back, Kelly
Dyer, backed up none other than Tom Barrasso at Acton-Boxboro (MA) HS.  When
at Northeastern, Dyer led the Lady Huskies to the (mythical) national
championship.

- mike