Sender:
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1991 14:47:37 TZONE
FRIDAY NIGHT:

     River Falls         0    0    1  - 0         1
     Stevens Point       1    0    0  - 1         2

I was not at the game.  From the paper, it was a good, close game all the
way.  Todd Chin, in goal for Point, stopped 30 shots to become the all time
save leader in Pointer history; the RF goalie stopped 47 shots.  This seems
to be a pattern for Point - lots of shots on goal.  However, many are low
percentage shots (e.g., unscreened from the point) so the opposing goalie
gets lots of saves.

SATURDAY NIGHT:

     River Falls         1    3    0         4
     Stevens Point       0    5    1         6

I was at this game, but didn't keep score, so all I can do is offer
comments.  The first period was great defensive hockey by both clubs.  I
was impressed with the forechecking of RF, keeping us bottled in our own
end a lot.  The only goal was on a shot deflected by a Pointer, but that's
not meant to take anything away from the offense of the Falcons which was
very good.

The second period was more like a twilight zone.  Point clearly outplayed
RF throughout the period.  We scored two early goals, then RF came back
with a goal.  Immediately, within a minute or less, we scored again.  Then
a repeat of the same scenario, and then yet another repeat.  They would
score and we would immediately answer.  All of their 3 goals this period
should have been stopped.  Dave Ketola was in goal for us and he looked
shakey throughout the 1st period, and worse here.  Baldorotta pulled him
for Chin at this point, and Chin came through.  He must have ice water for
blood.  RF continued to play well and had some good scoring opportunities,
but Chin was in midseason form and repeatedly slammed the door shut,
including for a 5 minute major (for butting, which also got Tim Hale a game
misconduct).

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:

At this point we are 5-0, but all games have been at home.  I suspect we
won't do as well when we hit the road, but clearly you have to take Point
seriously again this year.  The strength of the club seems to be in power
play and short-handed situations.  When we are down one or two men, we play
GREAT defense, and the power play this year must be above 40%.  If anyone
else watches Div III hockey, would appreciate hearing from you about your
team's strengths and weaknesses.

Tom Rowe                      INTERNET:
UWSP Dept. of Psychology      [log in to unmask]
Stevens Point, WI  54481      *****************************
341-3084                      I am in the prime of senility