Sender:
From:
"Lerch,Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 08:25:30 PDT
> I DO think that ACHA hockey IS as good as NCAA D-III (as far as
>the top ACHA teams are concerned).

I'd qualify that by saying that the better club teams are on a par with
 the poor/mediocre D-III teams. Look at the NCAA teams beaten by clubs
 in the past two years (thanx Lynn):

Scranton (4 of the 14  total losses) - hasn't won a varsity game in at
 least 3-4 years. Routinely beaten by D-III teams by 20 goals or more.

Hamline(2 of 14) - was 4-14 last year. Finished 49th out of 50 teams in
 the NCAA D-III RPI ratings.

Buffalo State (3 of 14) - was 7-15-1 last year, 7th of 8 teams in the
 SUNYAC.  Were ACHA D-II national champs 3 years ago. Tied Penn State
 (an ACHA power) and lost to them by a goal. This, team, IMHO, is at
 about the level I would put a very good ACHA team.

St. Norbert (2 of 14) - was 8-14-4 last year. Lost twice to UW-Stout
 (also beat them). Stout is moving to D-III next year.

Villanova and Sacred Heart (1 each) were 10-12 and 10-13, respectively,
 in the ECAC South, which, long with the ECAC North and Central, are
 considered "weaker" conferences when compared to the ECAC East, West,
 and SUNYAC. I think one team from this group of conferences has made
 it to the NCAA tournament in the past 10 years, and then moved to the
 ECAC East.

Amherst (1 of 14) -  was 6-15-1 last year. Also lost to UW-Stout (see above).

As I said before: from a popularity standpoint there are plenty of
 places where the ACHA outdraws D-III and even D-I. But talent is
 another matter.

Chris Lerch
EDS
RIT '84 & '91