Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:23:37 EDT
As usual, some well thought-out commentary by Jayson Moy.  I don't recall
commenting on his first predictions, so I'll take a crack at this one.

I'll wimp out and not post a standings prediction, except to say that my
choice for the top spot is Colgate, rather than Vermont.  I really like what
Donnie Vaughan is doing with that team (or rather, as a Cornell fan, I should
say that I HATE what he's doing!)  A nicely balanced and aggressive offense,
improved defense, and a top-notch goaltender in Brenzavich.

Question on Clarkson:  has a replacement for assistant coach Casey Jones
been found yet?  I probably missed this...

>4. Harvard      (Tracy will be better, they will miss Martins, but others
>pick up the slack)
>
>I think Tracy can also be counted on more as a two a weekend gamer.  That was
>his weakpoint last year.

I forget who said this (Geoff H?), but Harvard will go as far as the new
freshmen, who have been touted as one of the best (and sometimes THE best)
incoming classes in the country, take them.  Tracy had some strong games
toward the end of last season, but he also had some crappy ones.  If he does
become a consistent two-games-per-weekend goaltender, the Crimson will again
be tough to beat.

>8. Cornell      (A lot of seniors, with a new coach, better attitude and
>better season)
>
>Could suprise.  But then again we've said this for the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Considerably better attitude, from the top on down.  How this translates into
wins or losses on the ice remains to be seen, of course -- but I would bet
on the Big Red being a lot more fun to watch this year.  Even if they wind
up playing dump-and-chase again (which I doubt will happen), they'll still
be fun to watch.

Quick plug for Cornell fans:  the Red-White scrimmage, after a one-year
hiatus, is back, scheduled for next Saturday (10/21) at 7:30.  Tickets are
$2.00 each, there will be a couple of short intramural games played during the
intermissions (periods for the scrimmage will be 14 minutes or so), and there
will be lots (and I do mean LOTS) of door prizes available.  It'll be your
first chance to see the new-and-improved Big Red under the direction of
coach Mike Schafer, so come on up to Lynah next Saturday and take a look.
(end of public service announcement)

>Defensive Defenseman of the Year:
>
>Steve Wilson (Cornell), Brad Dexter (Colgate), Jason Smith (Princeton)

I would agree with Dexter, and I don't know enough about Smith to have an
opinion on him.  But Wilson strikes me as more of an offensive defenseman
than a defensive one; among other things, he tied for third in scoring for
the Big Red last year with 27 points.  Yeah, I know, big deal, but the way
things have been for this team for the last three years, 27 points from one
player IS a big deal.  Wilson, an all-ECAC Honorable Mention pick in 94-95,
was clearly the best player on a defensive unit that, well, reeked last year,
but there were more than a few times that he found himself, along with the
rest of his blue-line mates, caught up the ice as an opponent's rush began,
leading to the Cornell goaltender facing yet another breakaway.  I do think
that his style works for him, and trying to make a stay-at-home type of
defenseman out of him would be a mistake.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!
Rebuild the Tradition                                           DJF  5/27/94
"'Does he talk?'  'Uh, no.'  'Does he walk?'  'Uh, no.'  'Does he crawl?'
 'Uh, no, he doesn't do any of those things.  YOU try dragging him away from
 the computer.'"
-- Monica Piper, on handling competitive my-baby-is-better-than-yours parents