Sender:
From:
"Larry Haag, Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, NY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1991 10:38:34 -0500
Survivor writes:

> Also, North Adams (Ma.) State beat Concordia 7-6 in regulation time.

This was in the consolation game of the RIT tournament on Saturday (more on
this particular game later).  Brock (Ont.) beat Concordia (Que.) 8-6, and RIT
beat N. Adams 4-3 OT on Friday night.  The very young Tigers then beat the snot
out of Brock 12-3 to win the championship game.  RIT is now 2-1, suffering a
snot-beating of their own (10-4, I think) last Tuesday at the hands of Fredonia
(NY).

There are about 10 freshmen on the Tigers roster, including all three goalies
(sorry - I don't have the actual roster here to say for sure), so this looks
like a re-building year.  One of the goalies (Saszynski, or something like
that), from Trinity-Pawley, had a GAA < 1.0 in Hockey Fest, or whatever the big
prep school competition in Boston is, including stopping 63 of 64 shots in one
game (according to his dad, if I understood him right).  The team that played
this weekend didn't look like it should have lost 10-4 to Fredonia (unless
Fredonia made monumental improvements over last year).  Though they are young,
the Tigers have a lot of speed, and a core of 4 veteran defensemen.  With a
home-home pair against Geneseo this weekend, and facing rival Mercyherst in the
first round of the Elmira Tournament next weekend, the three top teams in the
ECAC West last year, we'll see how they really can do.

Back to the North Adams/Concordia game...

When I arrived at the start of the third period, the score was 6-2 in favor of
Concordia.  But then things got nasty.  I didn't actually keep track, but over
90 minutes of penalties were called in the third period alone, including at
least 5 game DQ's against Concordia!!  The only thing I can think of is they
must have thought a 6-2 lead impossible to lose (or they just didn't care),
because they got down right dirty.  Fortunately, there were two refs and one
linesman, because several of the cheap shots would have been missed if the only
ref in the game was down ice.  Were they this bad in the games they have played
in New England?  The coach was a real sport, too, throwing several water
bottles on the ice, without penalty, to my surprise - maybe he was throwing
them at his own players...  Despite being called for retaliatory penalties,
North Adams charged back with little time left in the period and won 7-6.
Serves Concordia right!  BTY - they blew a 4-1 lead over Brock on Friday night
as well.

                              Larry

Lawrence E. Haag
Eastman Kodak Company	   NOTE:  Send replies to [log in to unmask]
Rochester NY 14652-3302
(716) 477-3669