Sender:
From:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 17:51:02 -0400
> The schedule still refers to games against "UMass" on 12/22 and 1/23.  As
> far as I know, this is Mass Amherst and not Mass Lowell.  The schedule
> makers seem to be hung up on referring to Mass Amherst by its basketball
> (and other non-hockey sports?) moniker of UMass.
>
> Bill Fenwick

        Yes, these games are both against UMass Amherst, a name we dislike
out here in the Pioneer Valley. UMass has 29 varsity sports and is
refered to as "UMass" in all 28 except for hockey. "UMass" is preferred
by all, but since people were getting hung up over the Lowell thing, most
people not associated with the University tack on the "Amherst." The
"Amherst" does not appear in any press materials, programs, merchandise
etc.
        In the WCHA when you just see "Minnesota" it means the Gophers,
not Duluth. The largest branch of a state university system should go
sans the location ala Michigan, or Florida, or Texas. One needs not say
that they have a big basketball game against Indiana-Bloomington.
        I remember having this same discussion with a UNH beat writer (I
forget which one) up in Manchester and he pointed out that when you see
"UMass" on a schedule, whether it's soccer, baseball or lacrosse, it
means "Amherst." It's just implied. You don't have to call it "New
Hampshire-Durham." That would sound uterly stupid. So does
"UMass-Amherst" to us.
        When you visit the Mullins Center with the Big Red in December,
take a look to the rafters and observe the Hockey East banners. There's 8
of the 9 teams up there, everyone but us. The ones we were sent had
"UMass Amherst" on them, and as a silent protest against the name, it
doesn't fly. You'll also notice that the Atlantic-10 has "Massachusetts"
on it's basketball banner. That's acceptable, "UMass-Amherst" is not.

Leigh