Sender:
From:
Russell Jaslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:52:36 -0400
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Some very interesting stuff on the history and popularity of various college
sports.

> The only chance
> for college hockey to increase its exposure is to concentrate on strong
> regional coverage to increase its popularity in the immediate vicinity.

This is exactly the strategy FOX is using in their NHL coverage.  They are
avoiding any sort of "national" game.  I have not heard whether this is
working or not.

What I really want to know for college hockey, is what are the hardcore
numbers?  In that, I mean the ratings of the games that were on this year.
College hockey received unparalleled coverge this year with the NHL lockout.
Games on ESPN2, plus the Beanpot (too bad the Minn.-CC could had to be
canceled from ESPN).  In some ways, this was a put up or shutup opportunity
for college hockey with the NHL dormant.  I don't know what the numbers are.
Does anybody else know?  And, a comparison would be just as important.  How
do the ratings on the duece stack up against other typical "competitive
fare" like the NHL or college basketball?  And what about the Prime game of
the week?  How do those number stack up against Prime events like the Pac-10
BB games or the women's basketball games they cover?

Now to a different area -- corporate sponsorship.  Some people have wondered
whether we should be going after bigtime sponsors *before* we try to get
the sport on tv.  I say YES.  Many of you might remember my long post a few
months ago on the business of tv relating a lot on how auto racing gets
themeselves on tv so often.  Well, here is another example of why I say yes
to the above question.

There is a class of cars called Formula Ford 2000.  There existed 2 pro
series in this country.  Suddenly, a third series popped up.  Now, you
would think this would be oversaturation.  True, but the third series had
an ace in the hole -- major corporate backing in Hooters (a bigtime racing
sponsor) and Goodyear.  Suddenly, this third series, called the Hooters Cup,
got a national tv contract with Prime.  This year, their races are on *live*
with many repeat showings.

Now, understand, that although FF2000 is considered a very important
stepping stone for young talent to develop and test themeselves, it is
still very much a semi-pro series, below what one might consider the "minor
leagues" of racing.  Getting on live national television would be like the
ECHL having their games shown on live national television.  So, how did they
do it?  Simple.  They had a major corporation with its bigtime marketing
department do the fighting for them.

Russell Jaslow         |Official Contact - Potsdam College Hockey|My employer
Eastman Kodak Company  | Potsdam Bears - 1981 and 1986 NCAA Div. |has nothing
Rochester, New York    |  III National Basketball Champions and  |to do with
[log in to unmask]    winners of 60 consecutive games!     |my drivel.