Sender:
From:
Mike Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:38:36 -0400
On Sunday, Ely Ben-Naim wrote:
>Is this me being biased or the referees in the title game called the
penalties unevenly. >They practically put maine back in the game with a 5x3.
BU was called 8 times (to >maine's 4)

I have a biased view of officiating that turns championship games and from my
perspective (and those Badger fans I was watching the game with) I agree that
the calls started to go Maine's way. It was difficult to understand how some
of the holding the Maine D was getting away with was not called in light of
some of the calls against BU. But I wasn't at the game so it's hard to judge
from TV. Thankfully, the officials did not determine the outcome.

I've read the criticism about Shepherd and the Mich/Maine semi-final game. I
understand the points about the no-calls. But, I prefer the style of
officiating that we saw. If a power play goal had decided that game in
overtime I am certain the major thread about officiating on Hockey-L would be
markedly different. None of the no-calls I saw involved dangerous plays nor
did they involve clear progress to the net. Shepherd is an excellent referee
and he usually "lets 'em play".

Mike Blanchard