Sender:
From:
"Charles A. Baldwin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 14:03:39 -0500
Suppose Holzinger wins the Hobey: I just realized this would mean
that all of the Hobey winners in the 1990's (so far, and with the
significant exception of Paul Kariya) played for teams who didn't make it
to the final four, let alone past that. Admittedly, the 90-92 winners
played for teams that were upset in early round play, and were apparent
final four candidates during the season, but still, doesn't the Hobey
balloting come after that? My point is, all these players were voted with
the voters knowing that their teams were out. Does this mean anything?
Perhaps not, since the award ostensibly doesn't mark how the team does,
though there is some sort of at least common sense link between the two
(I'm not saying this link is true or right). Anyhow, I was thinking on
this, especially as the winners in the '80's (by and large) played for
teams with post-season success -- if not actually NCAA titles. (Part of
the answer may also lie with the single-game format of the NCAA in the
90's, but still, that only came about in 92).

Sandy