Sender:
From:
"Dr. Pamela J. Sweeney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:52:31 EST
I've been reading the discussion of changing the Regional format to allow
a day off between games.  No one has mentioned this, but wasn't that the
case the first year (92) of the Regional format?  It seems to me one Regional
was Thursday-Saturday, the other Friday-Sunday.  If so, why was it changed?

I also seem to recall that attendance was abyssmal (especially in Detroit).
It may have been that part of the reason for the change was to make it more
likely that out-of-town fans could come for both games.  I don't think
you're too likely to do that if your team has the bye and you'd have to
spend 2 extra nights in a hotel.  And if your team loses in the first game,
you might not want to hang around two more days when your team is no longer
in it, but you'd be more likely to attend if it was the next night.
----
Okay, after writing that, I realized I was just being too lazy to search
the archives to see if this was all covered before.
So let's take a look at the archives from June 29-30, 1992, when it was
originally decided to play the games on consecutive nights: