Sender:
From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 15:09:13 EST
Reprinted from the March 24, 1995 issue of The George Street Journal
(a publication of the Brown University News Bureau for the Brown
University community), with permission of Mark Nickel, Director,
Brown News Bureau:

     Members of the Brown hockey team were praised for their behavior
     at a recent Denver Cup Tournament [December 28-29, 1994]. "I am
     one of the parent-assistant coaches of Denver University's
     'Mini-Mites' and our kids were playing another team between the
     periods at the Brown/Denver University game," wrote Denver
     resident Kenneth Levinson to [Brown] Athletic Director David
     Roach. "When the DU players came off the ice they were, quite
     frankly, surly. ... On the other hand, your players ... showed
     the poise and sportsmanship to return some of the 'high fives'
     which our 5-year-olds were offering. A few of your players even
     wished our players things like 'good luck' and 'score a goal.'
     This small gesture was very much appreciated by our young
     players. ... Although this was a minor incident, it left me with
     a very good feeling about Brown and its players, and for this I
     thank you."

Comments: I'm not surprised. Many of the Brown players are very popular
with kids who attend games at Brown's Meehan Auditorium. I've seen kids
visiting with the Brown players in the locker room after home games
many times. The "Skate with the Bears" event last November attracted
quite a few kids, who fought with each other for autographs of as
many of the Bears as possible. (Although I participated in the event
at the invitation of head coach Bob Gaudet, the kids were perceptive
enough NOT to bother with my autograph.) The hockey team has also
"adopted" a class (I believe it's sixth grade) at Foxpoint Elementary
School, a public school located about a mile and a half from Meehan
Auditorium.

And who will ever forget the skating show the Brown team put together
with Jo Jo Starbuck at the Providence Civic Center two years ago to
benefit the Providence Public Library, particularly the "Swan Lake"
number with Co-Captain Scott Hanley as the Black Swan. :-)

Luiz F. Valente