Sender:
From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 17:17:00 C
Oh boy, all of this hypocritical crap about the SIEVE chant is getting
ridiculous.  Give me a break, especially the "holier than thou" sorts that
seem to be floating out of a certain Wisconsin rival.  Every school does the
SIEVE chant. . . . . .just because you don't do it doesn't mean that no one
in your school does.  It's a part of hockey.  Wisconsin fans just happen to
be the most organized and fanatical with the SIEVE chant that I've seen to
date.  I've been to more Wisconsin/Minnesota games in the past ten years than
I can count and I've heard plenty of "Go Home Red" and "94 East" cheers
(which is the way back to Madison for those of you not familiar with the
area).  And they always come at the end of a game when the Gophers are
winning.  And you know why?  Because Minnesota fans have a very BIG
reputation for leaving sporting contests very early. . . .especially if their
team is losing.  So, it seems to me that those cheers are also meant to
ridicule the WHOLE opposing team and their fans. . . . .not just one player.

Recognize the darn thing for what it is. . . . . .a cheer that's meant to
fire up our own team and our own crowd.  Yeah, it's aimed at the goalie.
Big deal.  Pressure is part of sports and the SIEVE chant has been a part of
hockey for a long time.  I played goalie and I got sieved plenty (believe
me).  It was never a humiliating experience.

I just spent three days watching some of the most exciting hockey I've ever
seen in St. Paul.  I betcha I heard the M_I_N_N_E_S_O_T_A chant more than a
hundred times in three games.  It works for you, I leave it alone.  Although,
I sure wish you'd come up with another cheer to go with it and that the band
could learn something else to supplement the Rouser.

And to settle the fears of CC fans out there, I had the honor of meeting
several of your players after the championship game.  A great bunch of guys.
And, quite honestly, Ryan Bach didn't seem to be suffering any mental
anguish nor did he take exception to the Badger jersey I was wearing.
Apparently the cheer went right over his head. . . .like it should.  I wished
the guys luck and let them know that I'd be cheering for them in Madison.

Maybe you anti-SIEVE people can realize that it's a game that's meant to be
enjoyed as much as possible.  I don't think I would if I had to sit on my
hands for fear of offending someone on the ice.

Good luck to all 12 teams (Go RPI :)).

Chuck
Minneapolis, MN
ON WISCONSIN!!!
SIEVE!

--By the way, Sinuhe Wallinheimo sure seems to love the
SIEVE.