Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 13:38:04 -0500
After winning the national title in 1989, the players who returned to
Bright had celebrated and been celebrated too much.  There were a number
of individual problems that developed because of the triumph.  The
returning team also faced a ton of expectation pressure.  They were
suppose to win it all again, according to some people.  89-90 had lost
Lane and Albie, and sooner or later loosing that many goals is going to
be pressure on the remaining players.  In addition, as mentioned by other
posters, it was Bill Cleary's final year as head coach.  In fact, Cleary
did the right thing and let Ronn Tomassoni take over that year.  Cleary
became AD after the season and over the summer appointed Tomassoni as
head coach, but he pretty much leaned back and let RT run things.  It was
a great gesture as it gave RT a year of control without the heat of being
the head coach to the public.  Frankly, I was not happy with what I saw
RT starting that year, but Cleary seemed to have a ton of faith in him.
Therefore, the players of 89-90 had even more pressure on them.  Yes it
would have been nice to send off Cleary in a big way, but the main point
was to prove that Tomassoni really could do it.  I think that all of
these factors contributed to the slump during the second half of that
season.

To me the best Harvard Men's team I have ever watched (not most skillful)
was the 1986-1987 team.  They won the league and championship in thrilling
fashion against a brilliant St. Lawrence side.  Lane and Albie were
marvelous that year.  86-87 remains my favorite Harvard Men's team.

/
 good shooting
 rhun-hungerf