Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 20:37:46 -0500
I think that the latest NCAA selection/seeding rule regarding an automatic
bye has been added because of of lobbying by Clarskon and the ECAC, hence
"The Clarkson Rule". In case anyone is unaware of the facts, Clarkson has
twice won the ECAC regular season and tournament titles (1991 and 1993).
Both times Clarkson was seeded fourth in the Eastern Regionals, while Maine
and BU were seeded 1-2 respectively.

This could have been the third time Clarkson won both ECAC titles and sill
ended up seeded fourth in the East.  I do not think Clarkson (or the ECAC)
wanted to see that happen again, and therefore lobbied for the automatic bye
rule to be instated (successfully, it appears).

Personally, I am opposed to this rule, as I am opposed to the "CC Rule", but
the selection/seeding process cares less about being fair to the individual
teams and much more about being 'fair' to the four leagues.

It will certainly be interesting to see which 12 teams make the field and
where they are seeded.

Sean Pickett
Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
E-mail: [log in to unmask]