Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:36:42 -0400
Sean Pickett posted:

"I am not sure if the league coach of the award is based on just league
games.  If it is for all games than I think Don Cahoon should win it in the
ECAC.  Bob Gaudet had a good year, but look at the two teams: Brown went
14-10-3 while Princeton went 14-11-4 (13-11-3 in DivI).  Besides leading
Princeton to a winning record (when was the last time that occurred?), the
Tigers upset Maine at Alfond Arena.  The only mark against Don winning is
that Princeton perfomed porly in the league compared to Brown.  Still my
vote (which does not count) goes to Don Cahoon for an excellent job.
"

Princeton's last season above .500 was 1967-68, although it did finish
over .500 in ECAC competition in 1989-90. The seventh place finish
this year matches its previous best ECAC showing (again, in '67-'68 and
'89-
'90). I'm not sure if those statistics present Don Cahoon in a positive
light so much as they condemn his predecessors. The previous Princeton
coaches were Jim Higgins (1978-1991), Jack Semler (for five or six
years) and Bill Quackenbush (for 15 or so years, including the '67-'68
season).  I might have missed somebody, but I don't think so. I certainly
feel that Cahoon deserves credit for the Tigers turnaround. If nothing
else, the team fundamentals, particularly defense, and chemistry is
much better than ever before. His recruiting has been productive (and
I get the feeling will be very productive now that the Tigers are
competitive).

As for what games count in the voting; I don't believe there is a hard
and fast rule - the ballot lists player statistics for league games
only but the coaches are well aware of a player (and other coaches)
out of league accomplishments. It is my understanding that out-of-league
successes are factored in as the voter so desires.

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Drop the Puck