Sender:
From:
"Charles A. Baldwin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 11:16:46 -0500
Laugh if you will, but I'd like to nominate Tripp Tracy for some sort of
ecac recognition. Before you shake your head consider the following.

I know he's been much maligned, and yes, I'm a Harvard fan, natch, but I think
there are some good reasons. 1) he was the top ECAC goalie or near the top for
virtually the entire season, and helped keep Harvard as the lowest GAA in the
league up until the last two weekends. 2) There were a number of losses,
dreadful games, bad goals, _but_ of the seven defensemen who saw consistent
play, there were 3 freshman; of the upperclassman only one was a
"natural" (i.e. from childhood) defenseman; and Brian Lonsinger (a converted
forward and steady blueliner) played most of the season with a twice
dislocated season. My point is that this was not the tight and fairly
impenetrable defense seen the last two or three seasons, and from where I
sat this accounted for more of the bad goals, lopsided games, etc. than Tracy.
The games I saw, by and large, Tripp outperformed the defense, and even Tim
Thomas gets bombarded some nights (like when  BU's around). There were
definitely games that Tracy kept Harvard in. (I'm thinking of the home
game vs. Brown as one example.)

Finely, correct me if I'm wrong, but Harvard  has had the top ECAC
goalie, at least stats-wise, but I'd argue beyond that, for the last
three years (94-Israel, 93-Tracy, 92-Roy, not to mention Roy in '89).
They don't  get recognition because 1) they played in rotation, and thus
saw relatively fewer games; and 2) they played in front of a tight
defense, and/or enough offense to cover for the defense. OK, well this
year there is neither rotation, defense (not even offense for that
matter). So how can Tracy be ignored?

Sandy