Sender:
From:
"[log in to unmask]\" \"Nathaniel C. Malen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 16:20:03 -0600
I was reading all of these "coach of the year" comments and I just thought that
this COULD have been Doug Woog, coach of the Minnesota Gophers we are talking
about.

#1-  Doug Woog does a great recruiting job.  He gets the All-metro player of
the year (Crowley) and the all-state player of the year (Kraft).  If you cannot
do something with those two, something is wrong.  He also gets another
offensive minded defenseman, Jason Godbout, who has not lived up to his
potential.

#2-  I have read way too many articles on the amount of times Woog has jumbled
the lines and switched players around.  He can't find a combination, and when
he does, it seems as though he changes it because they just didn't do what he
wanted them to do.

        In my opinion, Woog has been given all the talent needed to win a
national championship.  Granted, these newcomers are only freshman, but playing
in the World Junior Championships as Crowley and LaFleur did, I would expect
them to be a little better.  The Gophers finished up 16-11-5 (I think), and
this to me is dissapointing given all of the talent and combinations he has.

        So, I claim that DOUG WOOG IS THE BIGGEST LETDOWN OF A COACH THIS
YEAR!!

Nat Malen
Go Gophers!

p.s-  this does not mean I will leave the gopher faithful.