Sender:
From:
Fred Flintstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1991 16:13:05 EDT
Hey Fellow Icemen...(/women)...
	About this home ice thing, I think home ice can be anywhere, the
factor that determines home ice is the fans. Sure playing a lot on a particular
ice surface of a particular size does help, if the fans aren't there
contributing their energy to the game, it is not a very effective home ice
advantage. I have never been to the Mariucci Arena, but I think it can be
compared to Walker Arena here at Clarkson University.Many a team feared
( maybe not the best word) coming in to play here. The fans were loud, and
right on top of the ice surface (figuratively). There was also the famous
bell that rang often and loud, and who could ever forget the ever present
pep band. All these things combined to make Walker a great place to play if
one was a Golden Knight, but a not-so-nice place to play if not. So instead
of spending your time bitching about the change, organize some student
trips to the game so that you can have a louder section and make the MET
center a 'home-away-from-home'.
	About pep bands and home ice advantage (thanks for the hint Ron 8-)
For a few years the Clarkson pep band was banned from playing at the
University of Vermont by the arena director there. Why? Because we were
termed an "unfair advantage" at their home arena. We went in and made it
our 'home-away-from-home'.
	You may notice that I was speaking of Walker Arena in the past tense.
That is because Walker Arena is now Walker Center and is used mostly
storage. Just completed this year is a new student center/hockey arena. The
arena is called Clarkson Arena (*REAL* original name 8-)). It is a very nice
venue and personally I can't wait to be part of the group that establishes
the new traditions here. It should be an interesting season after last
season's accomplishments, as well as the number of retained players, the
freshmen recruits, and the introduction of a new, larger arena with a larger
ice surface. So all you Mariucci fans, don't despair, just be there to help
kick off the new arena with new traditions.

					Just a few ramblings,
					Ted Weiler

					Clarkson U. Pep Band '94
					"Let's go KNIGHTS!!!"