Sender:
From:
Charles Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1991 12:21:55 -0600
Carol, Erik, et. al., I sympathize with your concern, but...

Our rivals here (Colorado College) normally play their home games at the
Broadmoor world arena.  We use the arena for our (I'm on the faculty at the
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs) commencement, and I've grown to
hate the world arena with a passion.  Seats are small, sight lines are
impossible, it is hot and crowded, and genearlly a mess, but it is CC's home
turf.  CC has occasionally played home games elsewhere.  Last year, they played
Princeton at Sertich arena (normally where high schools play and the home of
the "other" youth hockey program) and a few years ago played a series up at the
USAFA (Air Force Academy) facilities.  Sertich and USAFA aren't their home ice
but they aren't away ice or neutral ice either.  The CC fans get to the games.
Actually, given the capacity, USAFA can accomodate more people than either
other place.

This is a bit muddled, and roundabout, but what I'm really wondering is what
makes home ice home ice and why it is so important.  If it is the people who
show and cheer, then there shouldn't be any difference.  If it is the quirks in
the way the boards bounce, the "wonderful" glitches in the ice surface, the
smell of the locker rooms, that sort of stuff, then of course there's a
difference.

Back to CC.   When they play Air Force at the Academy, hey surely are in
hostile territory, but when they play a WCHA game there, they are the home
team.  Yeah, it isn't the broadmoor, but it is certainly more like home ice
than playing, say, in kansas city (truly neutral ice)

So, what makes home ice?  I'd love to hear some speculation from the fans and
some reflections from some of the participants on the list.

charlie shub  [log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
  or even         (719) 593-3492