Sender:
From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 21:10:46 -0500
I was gald to see Mike Machnik mention Eric Flinton from UNH as a possible
finalist for the award.  You would assume that the most valuable player on
the 4th ranked team in the nation would automatically be considered but you
don't hear much about him.  I've watched Flinton for 4 years and must admit
that I liked him from the start.  He was kind of gangly and uncoordinated his
freshman year but, since then, he has improved his overall skills every year.
He probably logs more ice time than any player on the team - regular shift,
first power play unit (on the point) and first penalty kill unit. This latter
role is significant considering UNH's gaudy penalty kill statistics this
year. In addition, he is the captain and has definitely shown an on ice/off
ice presence with his teammates.  And beyond all that, he's a good guy too.
 I would doubt very much that he will win since he won't rack up impressive
stats (UNH  is too evenly balanced for that), but he is certainly a worthy
finalist.

I won't pretend that I know anything about the Western players since I have
only seen a total of 4 games on TV.  However, I have seen most of the good
teams in the East and would have to say that the most deserving candidates
are people like Imes, Grier, O'Sullivan, Bullock (altho he  never scored when
I saw him) and Martins. By the way, altho Grier and O'Sullivan get most of
the mention for BU, I like Thornton, he's the guy who makes that line go.

And . . . Mark Mowers is rookie of the year!

Greg Ambrose, UNH'72
GO BLUE!!