Sender:
From:
Brandon Carper Is A Donut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 17:54:49 -0500
On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Mike Machnik wrote:

> I'm going to guess that Holzinger, because of his abilities and the
> fact that he is easily the most important player BG has offensively,
> tends to play a LOT on the power play and that this is where he picks
> up many of his points.  He may have only 5 PPGs in league play, but
> since BG has 43, I bet he has quite a few PP assists.  (A category
> that should be kept track of along with PPGs, btw.)
>
> Of course, I don't know that this is true.  But it could be, and if
> so, it is a clear example of why you cannot just look at +/-.  And the
> combination of Holzinger picking up many PP points and perhaps playing
> with defensively weak players could easily account for his low +/- but
> high point total.

This is the case...Holzinger plays on virtually all of BG's power plays.

> I suppose I am saying, look at everything...don't just take one stat
> and use it to compare players.
>
> I've got a question for people who follow BG.  How good would BG be
> without Holzinger?

Um, in my opinion, they'd be decent.  Maybe a bit better than .500.
There'd be no way, though, that they'd be having anywhere near the type of
season they've had.  They wouldn't be in the Top Ten....that's for sure.

-Dan
"If I can't whup it, I'll go down."
             --J.R. "Bob" Dobbs