Sender:
From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 1995 17:03:52 -0500
Friday, February 17, 1995
Achilles Rink, Schenectady, NY
ECAC League Game

Princeton  0 2 2 - 4
Union      2 3 2 - 7

Scoring:
1st Period:
1) Union, Jamie Antoine 1 (Sicinski, Holbrough) 13:35
2) Union, Chris Albert 14 (Moody, Sicinski) 15:40 (pp)

2nd Period:
3) Union, Albert 15, 4:41
4) Princeton, Kopeck 8 (Masters) 9:50
5) Union, Charlie Moxham 5 (Leslie, Simonton) 11:53
6) Princeton, Early 9 (Kopeck, Miller) 12:56
7) Union, Chris Ford 9 (Reckin, Donovan) 19:59

3rd Period:
8) Princeton, Kelley 17 (Flahr, O'Connor) 3:18 (pp)
9) Princeton, Early 10 (Kelley, Miller) 12:56
10) Union, Albert 16 (Holbrough, Sicinski) 18:20
11) Union, Jay Prentice 7 (Holbrough, Goulet) 19:45 (en)

Power Play: Princeton 1 of 8, Union 1 of 4.

Shots on goal: Princeton 14-27-9--50, Union 10-7-15--32.

Goaltending: Princeton, Konte (10 shots, 8 saves)
                        Saltarelli, 2-1-0 (0:00 2nd, 7 shots, 4 saves)
                        Konte (0:00 3rd, 14 shots, 13 saves)
             Union, Trevor Koenig, 6-5-1 (50 shots, 46 saves)

Attendance: 2062

The Dutchmen shook off the poor road trip last weekend and came home
to take a 7-4 win over Princeton Friday night.  Princeton outplayed
Union everywhere except in goaltending, as Trevor Koenig stopped 46
shots.  Chris Albert's hat trick led the offense for Union, but the
real story of the night has to be Koenig.

Union spent a good part of the first period (and a good part of the
whole game) killing off Princeton power play chances.  They were able
to kill off a 5-minute hitting from behind called on Ryan Donovan.
Soon after that, the Dutchmen got on the board when Jamie Antoine
picked up a big rebound let out by Tiger goalie James Konte and fired
it home for his first goal of the season.  Chris Albert found himself
alone in front of a wide-open net following another big rebound a few
minutes later to give the Dutchmen the 2-0 lead at the first period
break.

Chris Albert added his second goal early in the second.  He carried
the puck all the way up ice, got around the defense with a great
individual effort and beat Erasmo Saltarelli, who replaced Konte in
goal at the start of the 2nd.  Princeton climbed back into it and made
it a 4-2 game.  It looked like the period would end that way when a
faceoff was taken with I think about 20 seconds left.  After a battle
along the boards at center ice, Craig Reckin was able to get a pass to
Chris Ford who took a shot from just past the blue line that beat
Saltarelli with just 0.7 seconds (yes, less than a second) showing on
the clock.  So despite being outshot 27-7 in the period, the Dutchmen
were able to come away with a 3-goal lead at the second intermission.

The Tigers kept up the pressure early in the 3rd, and fought back to
make it a 5-4 game on a power play goal by Jonathan Kelley and Ethan
Early's second goal of the game.  It remained a one-goal game until
Chris Albert completed his third hat trick of the season.  Albert came
into the zone with Cory Holbrough, passed off to Holbrough, who gave
it right back to Albert for the goal that put the game away.  Then
with 15 seconds left, Jay Prentice flipped a shot from center ice into
the empty Princeton net.

Another big story for Union was the excellent play of Junior
defenseman Reid Simonton.  He has had his share of problems since his
outstanding freshman year, taking bad penalties and getting burned on
defense, but he played a great game tonight.  He stepped up and got
involved in the offense and on a couple of occasions skated the puck
right from behind his own net and into the offensive zone for scoring
chances.  One of these rushes set up Union's second goal.

After 2 shaky games last weekend, Koenig played a very good game.  It
was only Koenig who kept the Dutchmen in the game as they were outshot
by a ridiculous 27-7 margin in the second period.  Both Princeton
goalies were hurt by big rebounds and no defensive help clearing out
those rebounds.

The win puts Union at 5-9-3 in the league and 8-12-3 overall.
Combined with the rest of Friday's results, that puts Union in a tie
with Yale for the 10th and final playoff spot.  Union and Yale play
tonight at Achilles.

| This report and much more information on Union Hockey including schedules,|
| rosters, team photos, and game reports can be found on the World Wide Web |
| at URL http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/hockey/hockey.html               |
--
Jim Teresco, Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science, SCOREC
E-mail: [log in to unmask], WWW: http://tardis.union.edu/~terescoj/