Sender:
From:
Comstrike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 16:33:30 -0500
On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, G. M. Finniss wrote:

> The cavalry, coming to the defense once again!
>
> Jeff Jodzis wrote:
> >let's face it, so far the msu spartans cannot raise
> >     their level of play in the big games to get the W.
> >
> >What is their record against top 10 teams like
> >     Michigan, BGSU, and Minnesota?  2-6, I believe.
>
> 2-6 is correct.  The Spartans are 2-2 against BGSU, 0-1 against Minnesota, and
> 0-3 against Michigan.  However, in those 8 games, the Spartans were only
 really
> out of 2 of them, the 7-3 loss at Yost in November and the 6-2 loss at BG in
> December.  Take those 6 games out of Michigan State's record and the Spartans
> are 17-1-3, the only loss coming to Alaska-Fairbanks right before
 Thanksgiving,
> and the three ties, all on the road at UIC, at LSSU, and at FSU.

Actually take a closer look at the record, two of those wins over BGSU
didn't even count in CCHA play, and as I have noted before Buddy Powers
used every single one of those games to play with the lines, and to
prepare for games that counted.  That theory has been all but proven over
the last month or so.  Get BGSU in a game that counts and the story
changes.  MSU fnas have been useing the excuse that "they weren't on
there game thats all, we are better than this."  Wonderfull, I'm deeply
moved, but for that matter BG is better than some of our games show if
thats true, and so is Mich. and LSSU, and Miami, and W. Mich.

> > For a team who looked really good on paper entering the
> >     season, you have to question its senior's ability to
> >     rise to the occasion and overcome having an overrated
> >     goalie in mike buzak.
>
> Overrated?  OVERRATED?  You are kidding, right?
>
> Even with his "subpar" performance this year, Buzak's save percentage still
> hovers around 90%.  The problem?  He's faced way too many shots, some of that
> by design however.

I will say that Buzak is a very good goalie, and that the rest of his
team has let him down is to blame in part.  But haveing said that I will
say that Miami's goalie might well be the best in the CCHA, better than
Buzak.  I would also request elaberation on what you mean by "..some of
that by design however."  This isn't like some plot by Ron Mason to lure
other teams into a feeling of security.

> >in the GLI, Michigan was playing without two of its top
> >forwards in jason botterill and kevin hilton, but the
> >     spartans still could not pull it out.
>
> "Munn East" ain't no more.  Last year's win over Michigan at JLA was the first
> in a long time for MSU.  Some key mistakes on defense cost MSU the game.

Exactly.  Which is why Mich is simply better than MSU, and slightly
better than BGSU as a team.

> >     we all know what happened over the weekend as Michigan
> >     was able to win its second consecutive game at Munn.
>
> A game that was tied going into the third.  A game either team could have won.
> (I should know, I was there.)

Exactly just as the last BGSU-UM game was tied untill overtime, in a game
either team could have won.  Ask Mich, they were there.

 > >     The Spartans
have also lost two key road
games at BGSU, > >     while winning one early in the season at home.

> Two early in the season at home, and those games weren't even close.  As much
> lack of success as MSU has had at BGSU Ice Arena this year, the Falcons fared
> no better at Munn.  Also remember that BGSU has failed to beat Michigan this
> year.  (In fact, a lot of teams have failed to beat Michigan this year.)

Once again I point out our loss to MSU was a game that did not count,
early in a season with a first year coach figureing out what to do with
what he has, and evidently learning a lot from what he has done since
then.  Also note BGSU's overtime loss to Mich, late in the season.

> >     And then at the WCHA-CCHA Challenge, the Spartans were
> >     severely outshot by the Gophers in a one goal defeat.
>
> As strange as it may sound, that was by design.  Why Mason played the type of
> game he did is still beyond me (he admits it was a mistake), but for Justin
> McHugh, that's a W for MSU.  (I didn't intend the rhyme, but what the hell...)
>
> >     I just wonder how the Spartans veterans like Buzak,
> >     Guolla, Murray, Carter, Suk, and Sylvester feel about
> >     their inability to beat a young Michigan team comprised
> >     mainly of sophomores and freshmen.
>
> Probably about the same way Michigan felt when they couldn't beat a Lake
> Superior team that they had knocked off 4 times earlier last season.

Lets talk this season.  Of course all this talk is moot, LSSU will wind
up killing us all in the tourney and winning the NCAA again.  GO figure.
Just like last year.  :)

> Frankly, they probably feel like shit about it, but it won't change the fact.
> The only thing they can do now is get ready for Miami this weekend, and not
> think about Michigan again until about 9:30pm EST on February 17, after the
> final whistle of the Western Michigan game at Munn.
>
> MSU's goal now is to finish second (with a very outside shot at first).  Down
> the stretch, BGSU might have a slightly tougher schedule.

Yes, we deffinetly have a tougher schedule.

  Should
MSU finish
> second and get to the finals of the CCHA, they'll set themselves up for a 3 or
> 4 seed in the NCAA's (and most likely a trip to Worcester).  They haven't
> played a high caliber Eastern team all year (in fact, they only played one,
> Cornell, in the first round of the GLI) so it's tough to tell what they could
> do against the best in the East.

Being a fanatic for my team I admire your optimisim.  But really I don't
see MSU winning the CCHA, nor do I think they will finish second, nor
will they make it to the NCAA, They simply do not have the team that is
going to get it done this season.  No offense intended.

> > And they've
always had fabulous luck in Providence..... > > G. M. Finniss
> Michigan State University 12-4-3, 17-7-3
> WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?

Nathan W.L. Boyle
The Fan's Fan