Sender:
From:
JOHN HACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 14:17:10 CST6CDT
Tom Rowe writes:

> This is going to be unpopular with some people, but I believe the posting to
> HOCKEY-L has gotten out of hand a little.  Specifically I refer to Div II,
> Div III, and ACHL postings.
>
> Note that I am at a Division III school and I follow those results avidly.
> However, there is a mailing list for that:
> and I subscribe to that one as well.  All too often results and postings to
> that list get echoed to Hockey-L.  If fans are interested in Div III scores
> they should subscribe to the hockey3 list.

    I would agree with you save for the fact that the track record
of Hockey3 in being up and running all the time is not that great.
At the same time, consider this, though I am not (and neither is
Debbie Somers) a member of the AP, scores from Divison 3 are posted
from the AP on Hockey-L and I think an information resource of any
kind is too valuable to waste.  I also think that there is some
interest out there from people who subscribe only to Hockey-L but are
not interested in another list.

    I do agree with you at least partway, and will decline from any
sort of editorial comment when posting.  If I feel so inclined, I
will do that separately to Hockey3 only.

    Finally, I consider it a credo of sports information directors to
disseminate information about their programs to as wide an audience
as possible...anything else would be a violation of our
responsibilities.

    Thanks for your commentary.
--
John Hack, SID