Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 15:57:12 EST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
This looks like an interesting run for the Hockey East regular season title.
No one really has it locked yet. I noticed this Saturday night when we lost
yet another shootout, and BU won again. It's interesting to note that, under
the old system, Maine would have a six point lead in the standings, and thus
a <three> game lead over BU. This year, it's only one game.
Maine has some tough games coming up, even though we haven't played UMass yet.
I still wouldn't be surprised if the Minutemen gave our guys a hard time. They
have been playing fairly well lately, and could be a tough win. Merrimack has
yet to visit Orono, as have the River Hawks (Chiefs for all you politically
incorrect folks out there) of Lowell. Lowell could be a tough game for anyone,
as they have seemed to be in games no one gave them a prayer to be in
(remember the way they man-handled the then #1 Terriers and their defense?).
If these guys had the ability to stop the puck (losing Roloson provided a huge
hole to fill), they could have been a force in Hockey East again this year.
Of course, no one should count out third-place New Hampshire, as they seem to
be making a season of it with Maine and BU.
Maine is looking back at BU, and the Terriers won't go away. It may be tougher
for BU to catch Maine, but when you play like they do, nothing's impossible.
And like I said earlier, with no less than nine games left for everyone, this
race could belong to anyone. It certainly won't be the cakewalk it was in '93
when Maine clinched the title with several games to go.