Sender:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 91 18:56:11 EDT
 Greetings to all of the hockey news-hungry out there! Sorry that my posting of
 this was delayed, but first things first (work-unfortunately!). However I am
 rewarded by being able to take Friday off and get a long weekend. YAY!! Here
 are some excerpts from the Star Tribune article from Saturday June 29th.

 NORTH BATTERS SOUTH IN FINAL OF OLYMPIC HOCKEY TRIALS

     First, the EAST beat the WEST 6-3 in the bronze-medal game, with Steve
 Heinze and Mike Boback each scoring twice as the EAST got the last four goals
 after the WEST led 3-2 in the first period.

     Then came the championship game, when a lot of players who hadn't caught
 Peterson's eye jumped into the spotlight. The game eclipsed the 7-2 North
 victory over the East in 1985 in Baton Rouge, LA as the most lopsided of 11
 Olympic Festival gold medal games. But Peterson didn't mind. "The first
 period was easily the best of the whole tournament, and I was hoping the whole
 game would be like that," he said. "But one thing this did was to give a few
 good players who hadn't scored the chance to get some points."

     The SOUTH's Mike Dunham of Maine and the NORTH's Mike Gilmore of Michigan
 State staged a goaltending duel in the first period. The SOUTH's Jeff
 Saterdalen, from St. CLoud State scored for the third straight game. He scored
 in all four, actually, but he didn't get credit for tipping in a first-game
 goal by David DiVita. Brian Rolston tied it for the NORTH last night on Trent
 Klatt's goalmouth pass, but David Emma regained the lead for the SOUTH.

 At 3:30 of the second period, the NORTH stormed the SOUTH goal but couldn't
 score. Defenseman Matt Martin, from Maine, spotted the puck at his feet in the
 crease. He dropped to nearly a prone position over the puck, but, aware that
 covering the puck there would cause a penalty shot, he arched his back so he
 was above the puck by about six inches but not actually covering it. Referee
 Don Adam didn't appreciate the subtley and called Martin for covering the
 puck in the crease, awarding the NORTH a penalty shot.

 Mike Lappin, normally a center but playing wing in the tournament, zoomed in
 and scored his tournament-leading fifth goal to tie the game 2-2 on the free
 shot. "I was just trying not to lose the puck," said Lappin, who plays at St.
 Lawrence.

     Keith Tkachuk put the SOUTH ahead 3-2 with a power-play goal at 6:54, but
 the NORTH caught fire for consecutive goals by Keith Carney, John Weisbrod,
 Brian Rolston, Paul Caufield, and Derek Plante. Mike Heinke relieved Dunham
 for the third period, but Mark Beaufait, Trent Klatt, Larry Olimb, and Billy
 Lindsay scored to boost the lead to 11-3 before Chris McAlpine got the final
 goal, Shorthanded, for the SOUTH.

 There was no official game summary...so I hope this will suffice.

 HAVE A GREAT FOURTH OF JULY!!!

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!