Sender:
From:
Thomas Rowe - Stevens Point <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 1994 10:46:48 -0500
Comments:
<Parser> W: TO field duplicated. Last occurrence was retained.
Since Diane only posted the box scores I thought I'd throw in my two cents
worth here.  Ever been to a game where you felt the refs took it out of the
players hands?  I think that's what happened in the 2nd period when Mercyhurst
got 3 PP goals.

In particular I felt like their 3rd goal was unfair.  About 15 sec after the
penalty there was a blatant hold by Mercyhurst back in their end (the play was
being pushed up ice in neutral by then) with the Pointer being laid on, then
pulled down again by the waistband from behind.  Normally you shrug that off -
the refs can't see everything.  But one ref was standing right there staring
at it.  The other fans around me saw it and were screaming "Hold Hold" but the
ref chose to ignore it.  Less than 30 sec. later they scored.

I pride myself on being as objective as possible (for a fan, anyway :-)) so I
don't write too many of these laments.  But it sure didn't seem fair.

BTW, I don't think we have anything to be ashamed of.  Mercyhurst is ranked #1
in Division II and a 4-3 score is quite respectable.  Furthermore, we played
even in the first period and distinctly outplayed them in the second.  We get
another shot tonight.