Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 17:33:35 -0500
Jim Love writes:
>  Is it just me, but *why* must hockey degrade into boxing matches/fisti-
>cuffs once the players get beyond the college level ??  Would the minor
>leagues and the NHL really disappear if fighting were banned at the pro-
>fessional level ??

Players at any level will get away with whatever they can get away
with.  That's easy to see in college where you have games that the
officials have good control of (control doesn't have to equal lots
of penalties, btw) and games they don't.

The banning of fighting in pro hockey is something beyond the scope
of this group, but I don't think it has hurt the popularity and
excitement of US college hockey any.  On the contrary, it is more
popular and, many would say, more exciting today than ever before.