Sender:
From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:08:12 -0500
 With apologies to Sports Illustrated ....

 Today's Sign That the Apocalypse is Upon Us:
 [excerpted from the "FanFare" section of the
   Washington "Post" - 12/15/94 - no by-line]

 Watching Hockey the Renegade Way
 ================================

  "Craig Laughlin [former Clarkson Golden Knight - Jim] is busier than
ever this winter, despite the absence of Washington Capitals games for
him to analyze on Home Team Sports [HTS = our regional cable sports
network - Jim].  Laughlin is the general manager as well as partner of
the Richmond Renegades, who have the best record in the 18-team East
Coast Hockey League [ECHL] ....

  The Renegades lead the ECHL in power-play goals and penalty minutes,
and are third in scoring overall.  In 26 games they've accumulated 1091
penalty minutes [42 PIM/game], and figure to break the club record of
2212 before the season is two-thirds over.  "It's an unusual combination,"
Laughlin said of the mixed statistics.  "We have 14 or 15 college kids
who never fought at all, but once they get a taste, they seem to enjoy it.
And the fans seem to enjoy that brand of play too."

******

  Is it just me, but *why* must hockey degrade into boxing matches/fisti-
cuffs once the players get beyond the college level ??  Would the minor
leagues and the NHL really disappear if fighting were banned at the pro-
fessional level ??  (Well, the NHL may disappear with or without fighting,
but that's another story :-)  I'll be home in Binghamton, NY visiting my
folks for the holidays, and I'm sure I'll be attending some Binghamton
Rangers (AHL) games as well as the Syracuse Invitational Tournament.  I
have no doubt which game(s) I'll enjoy more ....

        *
       *o*
      *\o/*
____ *o\|/o* _____________________   Happy Holidays / Peace on Earth - Jim

P.S.  The short article concludes by noting that "the hottest (sic :-)
      ticket at the Richmond Coliseum is in the hot tub at ice level,
      where the participants are determined for each game by a radio
      station promotion."

      Boy, wouldn't *this* liven things up at *your* favorite neigh-
      borhood college hockey arena <grin>  It certainly gives added
      meaning to the phrase .... oops, I'd better quit before I really
      put my foot in my mouth :-)