Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 91 02:42:38 EDT
This being the offseason, I would like to run "another" poll of the
people on this mailing list and find out what teams are represented
here, among other things.  This time (Carol, Erik & Kap!) I promise
to get it right and get the results out.  Actually, this year should
be even better for a poll since there are so many more people on the
list.  It's completely voluntary, but I would appreciate as many

This poll consists of some informational questions and some opinion
questions.  If you've held back from expressing your opinion on certain
matters before, now is the time to stand up and be counted.  It should
provide some interesting results.

Please send replies to me at [log in to unmask] instead of posting
them to the list.  If you reply to this message, make sure your mailer
thinks "reply" will go to me and not the list.  I will include any
replies that do go to the list, but I'd like to prevent hundreds of
poll messages from going out.  I'll be leaving Apollo at the end of May,
so please don't send replies there.  I won't be getting anything there
after May 31st.

If you forward any of the mailings from this list to anyone else, I'd
be interested in finding out some of the answers from those people
so I can incorporate them and try to get as wide a sample as possible
from all the people the list reaches.  I'll only be posting the results,
no names.

1st College Hockey Discussion List Member Poll (May 1991)
Feel free to leave any of the questions blank if you so desire.  I
will just add a category of "no answer" when tabulating the results.

It is not necessary to include the questions in your reply - I know
what they are. :-)  Just numbers with your reply will be fine, if
you wish.  A sample reply sheet follows in a separate mailing for
your benefit.  It is not necessary that you use it.

1. Which of the following categories best describes you?  If you fall
   into more than one, e.g. student who works/vice versa, please select
   the one that best describes you.
   a) student
   b) employee of a school or business
   c) coach or other athletic department employee
   d) other (clarify if you wish)

2. About how long have you been on the list?
   a) 0-6 months
   b) 6 months-1 year
   c) longer than 1 year

3. What state/country do you live in?

4. About how long have you been following college hockey?
   a) 0-1 year
   b) 1-3 years
   c) 3-5 years
   d) 5-10 years
   e) more than 10 years

5. What team(s) do you follow most closely?  If you don't follow any
   particular team more closely than others, please answer "none".

6. If you listed a team(s) in #5, how long have you been following this
   team(s)?
   a) 0-1 year
   b) 1-3 years
   c) 3-5 years
   d) 5-10 years
   e) more than 10 years

Please answer the following three questions for a) in person, b) on tv,
c) overall.

7a,b,c. How many games a year do you get to see your favorite team play?
   a) 0-5
   b) 6-10
   c) 11-20
   d) more than 20

8a,b,c. How many college games a year do you get to see overall?
   a) 0-5
   b) 6-10
   c) 11-20
   d) more than 20

9a,b,c. How many pro games do you get to see a year?
   a) 0-10
   b) 11-25
   c) 26-50
   d) 51 or more

10. Did you watch the 1991 Championship Game between Boston University
    and Northern Michigan?

11. Did you watch any of the 1991 Stanley Cup Playoffs?

12. In which is your main college hockey interest (please choose one)?
   a) NCAA Division I
   b) NCAA Division III
   c) Canadian university/Canadian women's
   d) US women
   e) US club
   f) other (please list)

13. With regard to #12, how much have you learned from the list about that
    aspect of college hockey which you follow the most?  Please use a
    0-10 scale where 0 is "none", and 10 is "all I know I learned from
    the list".

14. How much of your information on college hockey (scores, highlights,
    general goings-on) comes from the list as opposed to other sources?
    Please use a 0-10 scale where 0 is "none", 5 is "equal balance", and
    10 is "all information comes from the list".  Other sources can be
    papers, radio, tv, second-hand, etc.  Even attending games gives you
    information you don't get from the list, so consider that too.

OPINIONS

Please answer the following a) yes, b) no, c) don't know.  You may give
additional comments if you wish, but I'm trying to nail answers down to
these three so as to eliminate hedging and hawing. :-)  Make a stand!

15. The NCAA has recently reduced the number of games teams can play from
    38 to 34.  Do you think this was a good decision?

16. Do you think the limit should be reduced further?

17. Would you like to see more games played between Eastern and Western
    teams?

18. The Division I tournament was just reorganized so that instead of
    games being played on campus sites, they will be played at East and
    West regionals (one for each region).  Do you agree with regional
    sites over campus sites?

19. Also, instead of a best-of-three in the opening rounds, the tourney
    will be single elimination with the top two seeds in each region
    receiving byes to the quarterfinals.  Do you agree with the new
    single elimination format over the best-of-three?

20. Do you think the NCAA Selection Committee should state publicly
    what the criteria they will be studying for team selection is and
    release at regular intervals in the season the latest rankings of
    teams according to those criteria?

21. Do you think the recent emphasis by the NCAA Rules Committee on
    specific penalties such as hitting from behind and hitting after the
    whistle have had a positive effect upon the college game?

22. Do you approve of the reorganization of the Division III tourney
    from a two-game, total goals series into a Final Four similar to
    Division I?  (1991 was the first year of the new format in DivIII.)

23. Do you think that overall, college hockey officials are doing an
    acceptable job?  (There's always room for improvement, but the key
    word here is acceptable.)

24. Do you think that the NCAA should sanction women's ice hockey and
    hold an official national championship tournament?  As it stands,
    the ECAC champion assumes the unofficial title of national champion.

25. Do you think that checking should be allowed in US women's hockey?
    Currently it is not although it is in Canada.

26. Do you think that there should be an automatic Independent bid
    to the Division I tournament?

27. Do you think that there should be automatic bids for each of the
    four Division I conference postseason tournament champions?

END

Mike Machnik             [log in to unmask]    samsung!hubdub!nin15b34
NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES: 1988 Beanpot & Hockey East Champions
MERRIMACK WARRIORS: 1993 Hockey East Champions
NCAA Hockey -> Fire on Ice!  See you at the 1992 Final Four in Albany, NY!
Go Huntsville Stars(Southern League AA baseball, Oakland A's affiliate)