Sender:
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 20:43:24 EST
Thanks to Erik, Glenn and Mike M for very intelligent posts, but, sorry guys,
         THE WINNAH IS....
"Richard C. Crepeau" <[log in to unmask]>
                 { begin quoted material }
                                In point of fact what we are looking at
here is another of those points of corruption in intercollegiate
athletics where winning supercedes whatever other values it is to teach.
Recruiting players, whether from across or within national boundries, is
really the issue. Bringing someone from New York to play basketball in
Wyoming, or someone from Nigeria to play basketball in Texas, or someone
from Canada to play hockey in Colorado, is all the same. And of
course this is not any greater corruption than bringing someone who
can't read onto a college campus for purposes other than education.

If there were some educational purpose for any of this it might be
justifiable, but in the end it all demonstrates how badly incollegiate
athletics can distort the educational function of an institution of
higher learning.
                     { end quoted material }

My thoughts:  Most posters correctly pointed out that hockey is far from
unique in using out of state (state also being in the United Nations sense)
players.  Just look at the home states of the starting 22 players on any
football game.

But, let's face it, what was intercollegiate hockey like back before it
was corrupted?  10 guys to a team playing on a frozen pond with their
girlfriends watching.  The same can be said for any sport.  It's because
of winning programs that we have alumni following; because of alumni
following that we have alumni REVENUE; and because of that that we have
nice stadiums, media guides, electronic scoreboards, etc.  On the down
side, there is the 'win at all costs' demand placed on coaches and the
"academic" leadership.

Since I enjoy sitting in the arena, buying a hotdog, reading the program,
and watching high-caliber athletes do their stuff, I guess I'll happily
live with the current system.  Every alumna/us has the same choice; just
say no to the funding and direct (=attendance) support.  Don't wear the
athletic sweats or buy the We're #1 T-shirts.  In short, vote by economics.

Steve G