Sender:
From:
John Davenport <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 17:54:58 -0500
On Fri, 18 Nov 1994, Comstrike wrote:

> >From what I read BGSU's sister school Kent State pulled out of the CCHA
> and eliminated the Hockey team because of Title 9.  The president of Kent
> picked two sports to drop in order to bring the men's and women's
> programs up to par with each other.  One of the sports she choose the
> emerging hockey program.  Which is to bad because BGSU and Kent would
> have become intense rivals had the series continued.  I was just getting
> to enjoy chanting "Kent read, Kent write, Kent State."  Unlike OSU or ND I think
>  they could have become a
> good solid team if they had been given the time to develop.
>
> Tis a pity, such a great pity.
> Nathan W.L. Boyle
> The ultimate fan of BGSU.
> "There can be only one."

Having lived in Kent's back yard since the mid 70's and spending four
years at Miami-OH, I too was sad to see KSU hockey go by the wayside.
And although I know all of this was said last spring when the
announcement was made, I thought it might need saying again.
        KSU did have a promising team, and one that was already well on
it's way to consistence first-division (to turn a phrase) finishes in the
CCHA when an unfortunate hazing incident caused the team to be suspended
from any play for a year...1989-90 I think.  (someone check me on this).
Anyway, the team suffered tremendously because of it, though not nearly
as bad as when the same thing happened to SMU's football program a couple
of years previous.  So I guess I wasn't terribly surprised when the plug
was pulled on the whole program; just in the manner they did it.
Besides, the old arena was in bad shape, and the attendance wasn't
there...In a nutshell, there were many reasons why, but I think the
catalyst was the hazing incident, which really undermined any positive
momentum they had going.

My 0.03 (prime rate's going up...)
John Davenport
Miami U. '94