Sender:
From:
David B Reusch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 1994 11:35:47 -0500

> On the subject of Maine-Providence, whatever happened to that rivalry?
> It used to be pretty big, then it kind of fizzled out.  Any explanations?
>
> -Brian Sprague

Good question.  I don't have an explanation but I do remember that it was
one of the more intense rivalrys.  (That skating Friar!)  I guess maybe it
evolved into the Maine-BC which became more of a Maine-BU/UNH as BC's program
went into decline and Maine's took off.  Apart from the truly longstanding
rivalrys, like those amongst the Boston teams in Hockey East and WI/MN, two
teams need to have some level of parity to continue a longstanding intense
rivalry.  When PC started to be a second division team and Maine started to
dominate (I say that only because they were in the league championship game
so many years in a row), perhaps the intensity faded as well.  I can't
remember the last time they met in the playoffs.  It would be interesting
to see if anything comes of last year's forfeits between these teams...maybe
Maine will feel like they want to prove something.  I for one accept that
Maine had to take a loss for all those games...it was a bonehead mistake.
But for PC to get the wins, that hurt some (only a taste of what was to come
though).  It will beinteresting to see if the much-hyped rivalry between our
two UMass' comes to anything.  I feel it to be kind of forced at the moment.

Dave Reusch
UMaine '86, UNH GR '95